Friday, March 6, 2009

Dark Freaky Jesus Music Interlude: 16 Horsepower

16 Horsepower is a weird band, and one that is hard to explain exactly what the heck kind of music they play. Started by the son of a Colorado snake church preacher, 16HP officially disbanded in 2005.

Almost everything is rooted in religion, but from a place most happy shiny Christians don't visit very often. God in 16HP's universe is vengeful and likes to bring the pain to evildoers. This attitude lightens as the albums progress, but they still don't sound like anybody else. And the songs have some of the most twisted and devastating lyrics I've ever heard:

I will forgive your wrongs, I am able
And for my own I feel great shame
I would offer up a brick to the back of your head boy
If I was Cain

(from Black Soul Choir)

Each successive 16HP album became a little more radio friendly (but never got within actual shouting distance) before going ultra dark and dirge-y with Folklore. That would be their last studio album, and one that sounds way more like lead singer David Eugene Edwards other project, Woven Hand. I like a little dark and dirge-y, but Woven Hand wallows in it. I much prefer the crazy banjo/accordion/guitar/stand-up bass/single drum/other-stuff-I-don't-know-what-it-is that made up 16 Horsepower's sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment