Wednesday, January 28, 2009

We Have A Core Breach (Updated)

Apparently the furnace in the house I share with my girlfriend is on its deathbed. It started making shuddering sounds about a week ago. They got progressively louder, so my hope that there was just a squirrel stuck in there was proven unfounded. Someone came over to look at it today and said it should be taken out back and shot to put it out of its misery.

Since the furnace is over 40 years old (which is about 1065 in human years) this isn't all that surprising. Needless to say it needs to be replaced before it explodes, covering the neighborhood in shards from the Kennedy era.

Gosh, I can't wait to see how much this is going to cost!

Update: The new warp core is coming on Friday. The cost was actually almost half of what I expected, so that's good. Plus there will be tax implications next year (the good kind) as well as the savings that come with using 21st Century technology.

(originally posted 1/27/09 at 1:43 pm)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like more than a core breach! When everyone bitches around here about it being cold, they all say, "at least we don't live in Fargo, ND!" When I tell them you do, they say, "Wendy, there must be something wrong with him!" I hope it doesn't put you in the poor house, but my judge had to replace both his upstairs and downstairs units the other week. $6,000.00 later ... On a lighter note, I love this blog, read it every morning when I get to work and the coffee's making, starts me off laughing, you're a nut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're a nut

    It's been remarked. The estimate we got was $2,700, so that's not so bad. I expected north of $4K.

    ReplyDelete