Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Don't Put That In Your Mouth!

As a kid I only ate about four different things. Hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, and.... Okay. As a kid I only ate three things. As I got older I started trying new things and finding that what was irretrieveably disgusting as a kid now tastes pretty darned good. I even eat tomatoes now, which until a couple years ago would have been as likely as me starring in a reality show (Everyday Citizen Rehab? Rock of Gonorrhea?).

I've tried alligator (delicious), frog legs (excellent), escargot (heavenly), squid (eh), choirzo* (great if prepared right, otherwise... shudder), black bear (good, but kind of stringy) and some other things I'm probably forgetting.

The only things at this point I can't see myself ever liking (or tolerating) are beets and this.

Some other foods on my "still to try" list are rattlesnake and turtle soup. What else should I add to that?


_____________________________________________________
*I'm referring to the Mexican version of chorizo, which is made from all the parts of the pig not considered fit for use in hot dogs. My girlfriend at the time (this was back in '93 or so) told me that it was common for the casing to be a fresh intestine that wasn't cleaned before being used. Mmmm... pork proto-poop. That said, it was quite good when she made it. A few years later I tried to make it and the results were not as appetizing. Must've had a bad casing.

3 comments:

  1. You couldn't warn me that a deep-fried spider was ahead?

    There are no words for how disgusting and creepy that is.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the Spanish version of chorizo -- I love it so much more than Mexican. I can't find it locally, but I've got some in my freezer if you're curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to try it, but I need to figure out what to do with it. I take it from your silence on the matter that you don't have any spider meat in your freezer. Donna will be disappointed. The ones I kill in the basement have so little meat on them it takes a couple hundred thousand to make a meal.

    ReplyDelete