Thursday, January 22, 2009

No One Is Immune (Updated)

We got word this morning that Microsoft is cutting 5,000 jobs over the next 18 months. You can read the details here. There had been rumors here in Fargo about layoffs for a couple months now, but nothing concrete was ever heard. We still haven't heard anything about layoffs specific to Fargo, so that's a good sign. I'll update this post later when I get more details.

Update: It appears Fargo did lose some jobs today. I got a couple of good-bye hugs from people I've known since I was an intern. I don't really know what to say in a situation like this. "I'm sorry", "I'll miss you", "Good luck and keep in touch" all seem inadequate. I would be dishonest if I didn't mention also having a fleeting encounter with a feeling of "better you than me".

Judge me if you must; I take solace in the fact that it wasn't my first or last thought and it didn't last long.

Here's hoping they all look back on today as just the prelude to bigger and better things.

(originally posted at 8:50 am)

No comments:

Post a Comment