Friday, January 23, 2009

An Eye-Scraping Blast From The Past

My friend Tim forwarded me an email with a 1970's-era JC Penney catalog. This was on the first page:



Members of my immediate family will instantly recognize these beautiful examples of American craftsmanship as the table and chairs that occupied the basement of my parents' house until about 1989 or so. Ah, the memories. How they burn.

The good news is, I have solved the mystery of where Fargo meteorologist and local news personality John Wheeler shops for suits:

5 comments:

  1. Oh my God! I can't believe there's actually a picture of that stuff still in existence. We thought that was the coolest furniture ever made, I do remember it being the least comfortable furniture probably ever made! I think you boys broke all the chairs trying to twirl around in them. Wasn't dad one cool dude in his rec room with this furniture and the gray walls and red carpet and the colored lights in the walls above the TV? The people that did the Austin Powers movies must have seen that room somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just remember that table looking much bigger than it does in that picture. They still have that wood panelling in the basement though, so the 70's aren't dead yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those of us who don't know John Wheeler; is he Herb Tarlek's brother? .....Fans of the late 70's TV show WKRP in Cincinnati will remember Herb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Herb Tarlek. I actually saw the "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly" episode around Thanksgiving.

    I tried to find a picture of John Wheeler to link to, but all his online pictures make him look like he has taste in suits. He's big on the bright-yellow-ties-and-red-shirts-under-a-plaid-jacket look. You really have to see to believe.

    ReplyDelete