Monday, April 6, 2009

Otis, My Man!

In honor of the Atlanta Braves opening day butt-whoopin' of the Phillies, here is the greatest catch in baseball history. I've seen the guy crash through the wall and the one where the guy broke his nose in 37 places, but watch the slow-mo replay halfway through the clip.

Otis Nixon never takes his eye off the ball. He runs, plants and vaults all without actually looking where he's going. Granted, he was probably high out of his mind on cocaine at the time he did this, but still.

I was watching this game on a weekend while I was at Tech School for the Air Force at Chanute AFB in Champaign, IL (I think the base has since been closed). I remember it well; the Braves were up 1-0 in the top of the ninth. The hated Pittsburgh Pirates were in town and Andy Van Slyke, who played the role of Jerk Everyone Outside Of Pittsburgh Hated, had to do the U-turn after getting robbed with a runner on. Cry, cry like a tiny baby. No one will help you. You'll lose in the playoffs to the Braves again at the end of the season and short of a wormhole you can't do anything about it. God, I hated Andy Van Slyke.

No comments:

Post a Comment