Monday, April 20, 2009

Inappropriate Gifts

* Ten years ago I had a friend who couldn't get pregnant due to trouble with her fallopian tubes. For her birthday that year I gave her The Joy of Childbirth.

* I once gave the complete works of Mozart on CD to a deaf guy I knew.

* My Christmas present to a recovering alcoholic friend was The New York Bartender's Guide.

* I gave my nephew a $50 gift certificate to Victoria's Secret.

* When me daughter was five I gave her a subscription to Hustler.

* When I was president of Venezuela, I gave the president of the United States a book detailing just how evil his country was. I did this in front of dozens of reporters. The book was written in Spanish.

Imagine if the items above were true. I'd have to deal with a lot of angry reactions from both the recipients of those gifts as well as others. Friends, family, child protective services.

Well the last item in that list is true. (ed-- not the part about me being president of Venezuela. I was actually president of Brazil.) The president got embarrassed by a dictator on the world stage. His reaction (so far) has been telling. He hasn't said or done anything. Hugo Chavez figuratively slapped our president in the face. What should Obama have done? Personally, I would have given him a copy of the U.S. Constitution. Maybe highlighted the parts about freedom of the media and elections. But I'm not very good at giving gifts.

P.S.: I love how most outlets are calling this a "history book", many without noting that it's a favorite among violent leftist groups thoughout the region.

No comments:

Post a Comment