Thursday, January 21, 2010

Finally, It's Safe To Vacation In Afghanistan Again

The Taliban in Afghanistan have taken a new approach in their dealings with Afghan civilians. The new code of conduct bars such Geneva-Convention-approved acts as the cutting off of tongues, ears and lips, and burning down schools. I've already booked my vacation!

I found this passage particularly interesting:

American and Afghan analysts see the Taliban’s effort as part of a broad initiative that employs every tool they can muster, including the Internet technology they once denounced as un-Islamic. Now they use word of mouth, messages to cellphones and Internet videos to get their message out.
Funny how fluid religion can be for some. That the Taliban now, when they discover they need it, can embrace something they once denounced as forbidden by their religion reveals to me how seriously I should take their brand of Islam.


Crossposted at Say Anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment