Sunday, February 22, 2009

I Could Go For Some Jambalaya (Updated)

I don't post recipes much because I don't want to step on Alyssa's toes over at Angel in the Kitchen. After my last recipe post I got a brick through my window with a note that read, "stick to teh (sic) funny or my next stew will be made out of you". Message received. You don't mess with the gourmet mafia.

That said, I'm going to risk her terrible wrath to share my jambalaya recipe, which originated I'm-not-sure-where (though it was probably from the intertubes) and tweaked a bit to make it more Pocket Jacks-friendly:

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 - 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 large onion (chopped)
2 large green bell peppers (chopped)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 - 2 pounds andouille or other fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon (or more) cayenne pepper
2 cups long-grain white rice
2-3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth

Preparation:
Heat oil in large pot over high heat. Add chicken and cook until brown on all sides. Transfer chicken to platter.


Reduce heat to medium-high; add onion, bell peppers, parsley and garlic to pot. Sauté until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add sausage, chili powder, thyme, and cayenne pepper; sauté until spices are fragrant and flavors blend, about 5 minutes.

Add rice; stir to coat.

Pour broth over rice mixture in pot. Add chicken; press to submerge in liquid.

Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 30-35 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve hot. [Ed. note: Also serve with a strong beer.]

Update: This recipe is pretty hot, especially if you use a hotter sausage (like andouille, which is what I use). If you want to tone it down you have two options: (1) reduce the cayenne by at least half, or (2) have more beer in the fridge. I usually opt for (2), but to each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment