Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Think The President Hates Me And I Deserve It

I didn't vote for Barack Obama. The reasons are myriad, but to condense it into a single bullet point: I didn't believe him. I didn't believe he was a moderate. I didn't believe he would "usher in a new era of bipartisanship". I didn't believe he would be a friend to small business. I didn't believe he would only raise taxes for the rich (not that I thought that was a good thing anyway).

I also didn't believe he would pull all our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan. That was actually a plus, because I think a total and immediate pullout would have been a mistake. But it was very different from what he let people think. Did he ever say he would institute a pullout immediately upon taking office? He did not. He did call for a rethinking of the entire mideast strategy. He then announced timetables for withdrawal that matched up nicely with what the Bush administration had already announced.

Despite all this, I respect the office of the President of the United States. You won't see me show disrespect for that office in this space or anywhere else. As long as Barack Obama holds that office, I will show repect for him as well. He's the president of the United States and he deserves respect.

I have to admit however that I have gotten the feeling almost constantly that the administration, and, by extension, the Democratic Party don't have a lot of respect for me. How could they? After all, I am apparently:

Considering all my faults, is it any wonder the president doesn't want to have a beer with me?

2 comments:

  1. Good rant. The only point in which I'd disagree is that Obama deserves my respect. However, that does not mean that one should be disrespectful either.

    I do, and will always respect the office of the President; and he has taken some actions that I can respect. But the man has to earn my respect and I can not say he's done that. I suppose it's just a matter of semantics, but the fact that I don't believe what this man says will not allow me to respect him as an individual.

    Great, now that I've posted those thoughts I'll probably get audited and placed on a terror watch list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Yes you will. Have fun and remember that when the waterboarding starts, go to your happy place.

    ReplyDelete