But comedy is the bread and butter. Who doesn't like to laugh? It's the one genre that everybody likes, even though one person's hilarious knee-slapper is another person's why-are-we-watching-this-again whipping boy.
Which brings me belatedly to the subject of this post. If I had a dime for every time someone told me," you've got to see __________. It's the funniest movie I've ever seen!" I'd have, like, a pack of Juicy Fruit, because that's all you can expect for $1.10.
The thing is, I have yet to like any movie used to fill in that blank. Here's a partial list of movies that have been presented to me as The Funniest Movie Ever. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but whatever. You're not paying for this content:
- There's Something About Mary -- There sure is, but that something isn't comedy.
- O Brother Where Art Thou? -- I actually liked this movie, but it wasn't very funny.
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding -- One thing I don't have to worry about with Donna is her ever using this or any movie like it in that blank. God, she's awesome.
- Napolean Dynamite -- I got tired of Jon Heder in like eight seconds. The only thing I liked about this movie was the White Stripes song playing over the opening credits.
- Superbad -- At least its title had honesty going for it.
- American Pie -- This movie bored me and it was full of boobs for God's sake.
- Scary Movie -- I don't remember anything about this one. That can't be good, right?
- The Big Lebowski -- I know this one is dripping with cult cachet and all that, and to be honest I didn't see the whole thing. That's because what I saw didn't make me laugh.
- Tommy Boy -- Should have been rated 'U'. For ugh.
- Wedding Crashers -- I'm too depressed now to go on. Thanks, usually-reliable Vince Vaughn.