Wednesday, August 19, 2009

This Doesn't Mean I Know Anything About F-Stops

I like to take pictures. I take a camera with me just about everywhere I go that I think might yield some cool pictures. I am not, however, a photographer. I've never studied photography. I can't carry on intelligent discourse about low-light scenarios, the superiority (or lack) of this or that telephoto lens. I don't know anything about f-stops.

Thankfully, I live in a thread of the multiverse where digital cameras are plentiful, cheap, and loaded with automatic this-and-that. I've taken my share of what I think are pretty cool pictures. But I am not a professional photographer, nor do I possess the skill to become one.

However, last week I was asked to act as photographer at Microsoft Fargo's annual R&D recognition ceremony. I was simultaneously flattered and apprehensive upon receiving the request. I stressed that I was "a guy who takes pictures" rather than a photographer, but the woman in charge of organizing the event seemed unperturbed. We'll see how it goes. The cool thing is I get to walk around wherever I want and get in anybody's face in the name of Preserving The Moment. I have an all-access pass in the phrase, "I'm the photographer!"

Even if it's a dirty lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment