Thursday, May 26, 2011

Music Diaries: I'm Ready To Learn the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique

"First punch through this board, then I
I will teach you the F-chord, you
worthless American dog!"
Chord training is going swimmingly, though I've moved past the "easy" ones (simple c, simple g, a7) and gotten into some of the more challenging ones (c, f, g). It's all repetition and improving transition speed from one to the other. The software's been pretty great, especially since the author is no longer doing the singing -- sorry dude; you're a fine guitar teacher but as a singer you're... a fine guitar teacher.

I'm getting much faster, and I'm slowly approaching the point where I can hit the previously-unattainable c-chord on the fly without enough time passing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. My finger tips are slowly coming into form as well. The pads are all rough and ready, like a longshoreman's. They're pretty numb, though whether that's due to their toughening up or catastrophic nerve damage I'm not yet sure. I should know soon. In the meantime, I'm ready for my climactic battle with Bill.

Donna is progressing too; the d chord was kicking her butt for a while but she's getting closer and closer. It's a lot of fun sitting down together to practice. MJ has had the least amount of time with it, as she is only with me half the time. I am going to be out of town next week, but last night she asked if she could take her guitar to her mother's to practice. Of course I said yes. I'll be eager to see how much practice time she actually gets in. She's starting to get a little frustrated with it, as it's getting hard as we go. I keep telling her that that's part of it; everybody would play the guitar if it was easy, etc. We'll see how it goes.

It's clear that Donna has the best musical ear among the three of us; we rely on her to get in tune before practice. I think I'm getting better, but it's hard to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment